We are a boutique boarding cat lodge offering individual and/or communal lodging. Our cattery is located in a charming country setting at Acacia Bay, the lodge looks over gardens with bird life. We are located just ten minutes from Taupo town centre in rural Acacia Bay, with easy access and parking. The fully heated facility has an adjoining outdoor enclosure, a clean and safe facility for indoor and outdoor cats.
Russell and Vicky have over 20 years of pet boarding experience. They have created a purpose-built cat lodge that is peaceful and well equipped to take the best care of your cat.
After settling in your cat has access to the lounge area and outside secure all-weather deck. Safe and comfortable is what we do best!
We welcome your reservations via here on our website, email or by calling 07 378 5208.
All units are cleaned daily with veterinary grade products
All guests have their own area for eating and sleeping
The cattery has a fireside lounge with cozy snuggle spots
A small family business, that provides personalised care for each individual guest
Home away from Home
Private and communal accommodation with both indoor and covered outdoor areas.
Relaxing music and plenty of birdlife to stretch a cats imagination
I have known Vicky Graham and Russ Hopper for approximately nine years since they purchased Papamoa Kennels and Catttery. I have always been impressed that they are genuinely concerned for their charges welfare and the level of care they have shown for their client’s pets.
They have always sought veterinary advice promptly when the need has arisen and have administered treatments responsibly to animals under their care. The facility has been run to the highest standards complying well to the current veterinary recommendations for vaccinations and using superior sanitation protocols. I have no hesitation in recommending them to fellow veterinarians and I wish them well in their future endeavours.
We are so lucky to have such an amazing cattery in Taupo.
Vicky is an angel and you could not put your cats into better hands. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, patient and totally dedicated. Every cat is treated as an individual and special needs are totally taken into account. We are besotted with our 2 Manx cats. We know … without question … that we can leave our most precious darlings there and go away confident that they are receiving the best of care
I have a Rescue cat and two kittens. After having them for 6 mths I moved to Taupo. But being in transit I boarded them at Acacia Cat Lodge for three weeks. I was totally and completely amazed. It was set up like a home away from home. I picked them up and they settled into their new home very quickly. And I know this would not have been possible without Vicky. She loves and cares for them as if they were her own. I wouldn’t hesitate to board them there again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Monday – Friday 8.00am to 10.00am
4.00pm to 5.30pm
Saturday 8.00am to 10.00am
Sunday Closed AM
4.00pm to 5.30pm
What should we bring?
- Your cat should arrive in a secure carry cage
- We recommend the owner bring a small blanket (bed/basket/igloo) or item of clothing which has a familiar scent to your cat. This is placed on our bedding in the bed as it helps the cat to settle in, particularly for the first visit.
- Current vaccination certificate if not previously supplied
Does my cat need to be vaccinated? or be desexed?
- Cats must be fully vaccinated and current veterinary records must be sighted, however, we do have a separate facility to accommodate unvaccinated cats/kittens.
- Cats over six months old should be desexed.
What are the charges?
Daily charge: $16 Inc. GST
- Payment by cash or direct debit
- No eftpos or credit card
- We don’t require a deposit
Do I need to bring my cats food?
- Owners can bring their cat’s food if they prefer however we do supply good quality food that is included in the daily charge
- If your cat is on a special prescription diet from the vet, then you will need to bring a supply with you.
What if my cat needs a vet visit?
- Your cat needs to be in good health. If there are any health concerns we are not aware of please call to discuss before you arrive with your cat for check-in. We reserve the right to refuse any guests we feel has a potentially contagious condition or unstable medical condition.
- If in the unlikely event that your cat needs vet care, we will do whatever is required to ensure your cat is correctly looked after. Our first choice is to use your vet if possible as they know your cat’s history. If this is not achievable, we will use ours. A charge may be made for taking a cat to a vet clinic. Please see our booking form when you check your cat in for more details.
- Administering medication may incur an additional charge.
Can we inspect the cattery?
- We encourage all new customers to visit the cattery before their cat’s first stay. To ensure we can give you our attention and answer all of your questions without interruptions; for the comfort of the boarding cats we require that an appointment be made first.
My cat is an indoor or outdoor cat. Is Acacia Cat Lodge suitable for her/him?
We have entirely indoor cats that stay with us who are completely happy and at home in the cattery. Acacia Cat Lodge ensures that they can stay warm as they are used to at home, while there are great views and fresh air for them to enjoy if they wish.
Also, if you have an outdoor cat, it will obviously need to adjust to their accommodation while you are away. We understand that outdoor cats need things to play with to keep them active and prevent boredom. There is plenty of places to climb and explore in the cattery as well as our outdoor area when your cat will feel right at home watching over the garden and birds.
We have never used a cattery before and not sure if it will be ok for our cat.
Lots of our customers have never used a cattery before often because they have never found one they are happy with. We have lots of ‘first-timers’ from kittens to very elderly cats, and they usually settle well with the proper care and attention.
To reassure you, most of our customers come to us through ‘word of mouth’ recommendations, and we have a high level of returning customers.
There are many reasons for people to need to use a cattery, and we are always happy to discuss any individual situations and offer advice. We encourage new or prospective customers to visit the cattery so that they can see the facilities and beautiful quiet surroundings. It would give you a chance to discuss your cat’s needs and to allay any worries you have.
- 208 Mapara Road, Acacia Bay, Taupo
- 07 378 5208
Monday – Friday
8.00am to 10.00am
4.00pm to 5.30pm
8.00am to 10.00am
4.00pm to 5.30pm